Connect with us

CELEBRITY

Why the Singapore government struck a ‘deal’ to host Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour

Published

on

The Indian Express
JOURNALISM OF COURAGE
Subscribe
My Account
Home
ePaper
Cities
India
Explained
Opinion
Business
Entertainment
Sports
Politics
UPSC
Lifestyle
Tech
Investigations
Research
Videos
UPSC Pack
Premium Stories
Play Crossword
Express Shorts
🎙️ Podcast
Latest News
Health & Wellness
NewsExplainedExplained GlobalWhy the Singapore government struck a ‘deal’ to host Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour
Why the Singapore government struck a ‘deal’ to host Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour
Politicians from Thailand and the Philippines also commented on the deal, which led the American pop superstar to make only one Southeast Asian stop on her billion-dollar tour. Here’s why.
ADVERTISEMENT

Written by Rishika Singh
March 9, 2024 12:30 IST

Follow Us

Taylor Swift’s fans, or Swifties, pose for a picture at the National Stadium during Swift’s Eras Tour concert in Singapore March 2, 2024.Taylor Swift’s fans, or Swifties, pose for a picture at the National Stadium during Swift’s Eras Tour concert in Singapore March 2, 2024. (REUTERS/Caroline Chia/File Photo)

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong recently defended the deal his government offered to American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift, to ensure that she exclusively performed in Singapore as part of her ongoing global tour.

Called “The Eras Tour”, each concert is a nearly three-and-a-half-hour-long show that features hits from the different eras of her career. It has been making waves with the record number of sales and audiences it has attracted across the world.

Beginning in March 2023, the tour is set to go on till the end of this year. In December 2023, it grossed around $1 billion – making it the highest-grossing music tour of all time.

However, a few of Singapore’s Southeast Asian neighbours, such as Thailand and the Philippines, have expressed their criticism of the deal. We explain why.

On Tuesday (March 5), while on a visit to Australia, the Singapore PM spoke about the issue at a press conference.

“Our agencies negotiated an arrangement with her (Swift) to come to Singapore and perform and to make Singapore her only stop in Southeast Asia. And there was a certain incentive provided to her from our Tourism DevelopmentFund, and a deal was reached,” he said.

Saying it had turned out to be a “very successful arrangement”, he added, “I don’t see that as being unfriendly.” A Philippines lawmaker named Joey Salceda had earlier demanded that his country’s government should lodge a formal protest against Singapore. He said, “This isn’t what good neighbours do”.

Last month, Thailand’s Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin also spoke about the deal. According to Singapore’s ChannelNews Asia (CNA), he said that “the Singapore government offered around $2 million to $3 million per show in exchange of exclusivity.” However, CNA added that the figure might have been the total sum paid for the six shows set to take place in the city-state in early March.

A recent statement from a spokesperson in Thavisin’s office denied that the PM’s comments were critical. “Singapore’s proposal was an approach that shows they dared to think and dared to do it, and that successfully made Taylor Swift’s team agree to have the exclusive performance in Singapore, the only country in the region. That has benefited the country,” it said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All Future Kansas City Chiefs Games After Shocking Announcement – Here’s What Happened!👇
CELEBRITY5 hours ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All Future Kansas City Chiefs Games After Shocking Announcement – Here’s 👇What Happened!👇

Simone Biles…’We are 2 weeks today’ “How do you rate us; are we doing good?”…SEE 10 MORE PHOTOS 👇👇
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Simone Biles…’We are 2 weeks today’ “How do you rate us; are we doing good?”…SEE 10 MORE PHOTOS 👇👇

CELEBRITY2 days ago

BREAKING: NFL Legend Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce Welcome Their Fourth Baby Girl, Revealing baby in a cute family Photo, Adding Another Little Teammate to Their Growing Family of Daughters With Jason Stating “Feeling Blessed Beyond Words, Our Hearts Are Fuller Than Ever, see 10 Adorable baby photos and See full article 👇👇 l

Will Travis Kelce propose to Taylor Swift at Super Bowl with $12 million ring? NFL star dodges questions as rumours grow
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Will Travis Kelce propose to Taylor Swift at Super Bowl with $12 million ring? NFL star dodges questions as rumours grow

Breaking news: Patrick Mahomes terminates his 7-year marriage to Brittany upon learning he is not the biological father of their children.
NFL2 days ago

Breaking news: Patrick Mahomes terminates his 7-year marriage to Brittany upon learning he is not the biological father of their children.

David Beckham’s 17-year-old daughter Harper is said to be pregnant – But more shocking than the baby’s real father is…
CELEBRITY3 days ago

David Beckham’s 17-year-old daughter Harper is said to be pregnant – But more shocking than the baby’s real father is…

Breaking News: Meghan Markle Publishes a Photo of Her Daughter Lilibet and Everyone Notices the Same Thing
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Breaking News: Meghan Markle Publishes a Photo of Her Daughter Lilibet and Everyone Notices the Same Thing

Travis Kelce has decided to reinforce the status quo by saying it will be an “honor” to have Donald Trump watch him play in the..... Full Details Below ⬇️👇.
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Travis Kelce has decided to reinforce the status quo by saying it will be an “honor” to have Donald Trump watch him play in the….. Full Details Below ⬇️👇.

Breaking News:Taylor swift angrily say so many people want my relationship with Travis Kelce to be trashed and broken. If you are a fan of mine and you want my relationship to continue and stand strong, let me hear you say a big YES!”… Full story below
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Breaking News:Taylor swift angrily say so many people want my relationship with Travis Kelce to be trashed and broken. If you are a fan of mine and you want my relationship to continue and stand strong, let me hear you say a big YES!”… Full story below

Karoline Leavitt BANS CNN’s Kaitlan Collins from Press Brief after STUPID Question full story below 👇👇👇
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Karoline Leavitt BANS CNN’s Kaitlan Collins from Press Brief after STUPID Question full story below 👇👇👇

Historic Taylor Swift Announcement Turns Heads. About... Full Details Below 👇⬇️
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Historic Taylor Swift Announcement Turns Heads. About… Full Details Below 👇⬇️

CELEBRITY6 days ago

Cristiano Ronaldo’s 15-year-old son unexpectedly found his biological mother after a five-year search. Cristiano Ronaldo revealed a shocking secret…

Copyright © 2024 UKgets