Connect with us

CELEBRITY

Naomi Osaka rues swift Wimbledon exit while Coco Gauff marches on

Published

on

Osaka ‘disappointed’ by 6-4, 6-1 Navarro loss
Dominant Gauff defeats Anca Todoni 6-2, 6-1

When Naomi Osaka returned to the Tour in January, six months after giving birth to her daughter, she said she did not expect to hit top form until later this summer, on the hard courts. On Wednesday, after impressing in her first-round win at Wimbledon, she was undone, beaten 6-4, 6-1 by the American No 19 seed, Emma Navarro. For Osaka, the US hard courts ­probably cannot come soon enough.

“I’m excited to go back on hard courts but I’m a bit disappointed because I wanted to do really well and I put a lot of time into it,” the former world No 1 said. “But there’s always next year.”

Grass has always been a troublesome surface for Osaka, who reached the third round on her first two visits in 2017 and 2018 but who lost in round one in 2019 and had not played here since. Against Navarro, who has enjoyed a breakthrough season, she began well but faded as the American roared through to the third round.

All four of Osaka’s grand slam triumphs have come on hard courts – two at the US Open and two at the ­Australian Open – and the 26-year-old has shown enough to suggest that she will be a threat in New York. She had match point against Iga Swiatek at the French Open, the only player who came close to threatening the eventual champion, and her on-court body language has been much more positive than in recent years, ­during which she has been open about ­mental-health problems.

Navarro always looked likely to be a tough opponent. A leading junior, she chose to go to college in the US, now a well-versed route to the professional circuit, and emerged physically and mentally better-equipped to handle the rigours of the Tour. She won her first title in Hobart in January, made the fourth round at the French Open and though this is only her second Wimbledon, the 23-year-old was good value for her win.

“Naomi’s obviously a great player, it’s great to have her back on tour and she’s been playing some great tennis on tour,” Navarro said. “But I wanted to get to the win today, I played some good tennis at times. It was my first time on Centre Court at Wimbledon, it doesn’t really feel real. I’ve been having a lot of fun on grass, it’s been the theme of my time on tour, just trying to enjoy myself.”

Coco Gauff was enjoying herself enough during her 6-2, 6-1 win over the Romanian qualifier Anca Todoni that she snuck more than a few looks at the serve clock. The Gauff serve has been problematic at times – before the French Open she was hitting several double faults per match – but she has been working hard to iron out the kinks and has also adopted a new attitude.

“I think I’m just going for it more and accepting the misses,” said the 20-year-old, who sent one down at 124mph. “I think today I had a really low first-serve percentage in the first set and maybe in the second it got higher. When I go for it overall it’s more winning for me on my serve. I just have a lot of confidence in my return game that makes the serving a lot easier. I know I can get the power when I need to. I’m just trying to focus on continuing that and not losing confidence in it.”

The Ukrainian Elina Svitolina, who reached the semi-finals last year, came through a tough match with Magda Linette of Poland 7-5, 6-7 (9), 6-3 while Danielle Collins, the American No 11 seed, beat Clara Tauson of Denmark 6-3, 7-6 (4).

This is what we’re up against
Teams of lawyers from the rich and powerful trying to stop us publishing stories they don’t want you to see.

Lobby groups with opaque funding who are determined to undermine facts about the climate emergency and other established science.

Authoritarian states with no regard for the freedom of the press.

Bad actors spreading disinformation online to undermine democracy.

***

But we have something powerful on our side.

We’ve got you.

The Guardian is funded by readers, like you in Nigeria, and the only person who decides what we publish is our editor.

If you want to join us in our mission to share independent, global journalism to the world, we’d love to have you on side

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

JUST IN; Taylor Swift Accompanies Travis Kelce on a Visit to Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce’s Home to Congratulate Them on the Birth of Their Fourth Child, Finnley Anne, and Shares a Special Moment Holding the Newborn....See More ⬇️👇
NFL1 day ago

JUST IN; Taylor Swift Accompanies Travis Kelce on a Visit to Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce’s Home to Congratulate Them on the Birth of Their Fourth Child, Finnley Anne, and Shares a Special Moment Holding the Newborn….See More ⬇️👇

JUST IN: Whoopi Goldberg Slams Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce on ‘The View’ in Fiery Rant, Accusing Them of Exploiting Their Newborn Daughter Finn Anna Kelce on ‘New Heights Podcast’ and ‘Not Gonna Lie’ Barely Days Postpartum
CELEBRITY1 day ago

JUST IN: Whoopi Goldberg Slams Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce on ‘The View’ in Fiery Rant, Accusing Them of Exploiting Their Newborn Daughter Finn Anna Kelce on ‘New Heights Podcast’ and ‘Not Gonna Lie’ Barely Days Postpartum

Chiefs make decision affecting Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce that may not please Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Chiefs make decision affecting Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce that may not please Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes

Good News: Venus Williams Welcomes Triplets with Her Fiance.... Full Details Here ⬇️👇
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Good News: Legend Tennis Venus Serena Williams Welcomes Triplets with Her Fiance…. Full Details Here ⬇️👇

Breaking News:Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins… In a surprising yet heartwarming twist, global pop icon Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—despite never tying the knot. The couple, whose whirlwind romance has captivated fans and media alike, confirmed the news in a joint statement, expressing their joy and excitement for this new chapter…see more below👇👇👇
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Breaking News:Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins… In a surprising yet heartwarming twist, global pop icon Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—despite never tying the knot. The couple, whose whirlwind romance has captivated fans and media alike, confirmed the news in a joint statement, expressing their joy and excitement for this new chapter…see more below👇👇👇

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All Future Kansas City Chiefs Games After Shocking Announcement – Here’s What Happened!👇
CELEBRITY3 days ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All Future Kansas City Chiefs Games After Shocking Announcement – Here’s 👇What Happened!👇

Simone Biles…’We are 2 weeks today’ “How do you rate us; are we doing good?”…SEE 10 MORE PHOTOS 👇👇
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Simone Biles…’We are 2 weeks today’ “How do you rate us; are we doing good?”…SEE 10 MORE PHOTOS 👇👇

CELEBRITY5 days ago

BREAKING: NFL Legend Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce Welcome Their Fourth Baby Girl, Revealing baby in a cute family Photo, Adding Another Little Teammate to Their Growing Family of Daughters With Jason Stating “Feeling Blessed Beyond Words, Our Hearts Are Fuller Than Ever, see 10 Adorable baby photos and See full article 👇👇 l

Will Travis Kelce propose to Taylor Swift at Super Bowl with $12 million ring? NFL star dodges questions as rumours grow
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Will Travis Kelce propose to Taylor Swift at Super Bowl with $12 million ring? NFL star dodges questions as rumours grow

Breaking news: Patrick Mahomes terminates his 7-year marriage to Brittany upon learning he is not the biological father of their children.
NFL5 days ago

Breaking news: Patrick Mahomes terminates his 7-year marriage to Brittany upon learning he is not the biological father of their children.

David Beckham’s 17-year-old daughter Harper is said to be pregnant – But more shocking than the baby’s real father is…
CELEBRITY5 days ago

David Beckham’s 17-year-old daughter Harper is said to be pregnant – But more shocking than the baby’s real father is…

Breaking News: Meghan Markle Publishes a Photo of Her Daughter Lilibet and Everyone Notices the Same Thing
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Breaking News: Meghan Markle Publishes a Photo of Her Daughter Lilibet and Everyone Notices the Same Thing

Copyright © 2024 UKgets